“Focus on a few key objectives … I only have three things to do. I have to choose the right people, allocate the right number of dollars, and transmit ideas from one division to another with the speed of light. So I’m really in the business of being the gatekeeper and the transmitter of ideas.”
“I believe the real difference between success and failure in a corporation can be very often traced to the question of how well the organization brings out the great energies and talents of its people.”
Thomas J. Watson, Jr
“Don’t equate activity with efficiency. You are paying your key people to see the big picture. Don’t let them get bogged down in a lot of meaningless meetings and paper shuffling. Announce a Friday afternoon off once in a while. Cancel a Monday morning meeting or two. Tell the cast of characters you’d like them to spend the amount of time normally spent preparing for attending the meeting at their desks, simply thinking about an original idea”.
“Talent is the multiplier. The more energy and attention you invest in it, the greater the yield. The time you spend with your best is, quite simply, your most productive time.”
It’s terrible that some people think that they can make the world better in some way attacking innocent people! If you´re in Boston today, stay safe!
In my series mastering the basics of project management that I started in 2010, I used to focus on technical aspects of the work (e.g., tool, templates, or technique to help manage scope, schedules, and people), according to the PMBOK 4th and 5th editions. Below you will find the complete list of the articles posted until now.
- Mastering the Basics of Project Management: The Project Cost and Budget Management
- Mastering the Basics of Project Management: Managing Distributed Project Teams
- Mastering the basics of project management: Establishing Team Rules of Engagemen
- Mastering the basics of project management: the Project Leadership
- Mastering the Basics of Project Management: Writing Better e-mails
- Mastering the basics of project management: the Project Plan – Part 1
- Mastering the basics of project management: Goal and Objectives Settings
- Mastering the basics of project management: Scheduling techniques and time management
- Mastering the basics of project management: what a project really is?
“No great manager or leader ever fell from heaven, its learned not inherited.”